2020 application period: Jan. 31 to March 15
High School Scholarship History
Ben Cheney had a significant interest in supporting youth and youth athletics through his philanthropy. The Ben B. Cheney Foundation continues his legacy by awarding one scholar athlete from 30 high schools in Pierce County, and one from Ben’s hometown, South Bend, each year.
Since 1976, the Ben B. Cheney Foundation has awarded more than $1.5 million in college scholarships through this program.
This $3,000 scholarship recognizes student athletes with plans to further their education in a vocational and technical school, or a 2- or 4-year college in the United States following graduation. Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the school or college on the student's behalf in August.
To be eligible for this scholarship, students must:
· Be a high school senior.
· Graduate from an eligible high school. (see list below)
· Have plans to attend a vocational and technical school, or a 2- or 4-year college in the United States in the fall following graduation.
· Have a cumulative GPA that meets minimum college requirements.
· Have participated on at least one varsity interscholastic high school sponsored athletic team. (see below for qualifying WIAA sports.)
· Exhibit high qualities of attainment in academics, leadership, character, citizenship, and motivation.
· Be an American citizen.
· Submit a compelling and complete application by March 15.
How to apply:
1. Review the application (posted here Jan. 31). Make note of the responses requiring a longer written statement.
2. Use a word processing tool to draft the written statement to be sure your response is thorough, compelling, and does not exceed the maximum word count allowed.
3. Complete and submit your online application by March 15. Incomplete applications, and applications received after March 15 will not be reviewed.
Application review & selection:
· School staff review all applications between April 1 and 22.
· Selection committees from each school will choose one recipient and one alternate. Applications are scored on athletic participation, academics, leadership, character, citizenship, and motivation.
· Scholarship recipients will be notified by email no later than April 30. Applicants will also receive a hard copy letter by mail, including a confirmation document to be signed and returned to the Foundation.
· Application period opens: January 31, 2020
· Applications due: March 15
· School review & selection period: April 1 - 22
· Recipient notification: April 30
· Awards banquet: Latter part of May
Please see your school counselor for more information.
Swim & Dive
Track & Field
South Bend H.S.