Ben B. Cheney Student Athlete Scholarship Program
High School Scholarship History
Ben Cheney had a significant interest in supporting youth and youth athletics through his philanthropy. The Ben B. Cheney Foundation continues his legacy by awarding one scholar athlete from 30 high schools in Pierce County, and one from Ben’s hometown, South Bend, each year.
Since 1976, the Ben B. Cheney Foundation has awarded more than $1.5 million in college scholarships through this program.
This $3,000 scholarship recognizes student athletes with plans to further their education in a vocational and technical school, or a 2- or 4-year college in the United States following graduation. Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the school or college on the student’s behalf in August.
To be eligible for this scholarship, students must:
- Be a high school senior.
- Graduate from an eligible high school. (see list below)
- Have plans to attend a vocational and technical school, or a 2- or 4-year college in the United States in the fall following graduation.
- Have a cumulative GPA that meets minimum college requirements.
- Have participated on at least one WIAA varsity interscholastic high school sponsored athletic team. (see below for qualifying WIAA athletics.)
- Exhibit high qualities of attainment in academics, leadership, character, citizenship, and motivation.
- Be an American citizen.
- Submit a compelling and complete application by the deadline.
How to apply:
- Review the application when the application period opens. Make note of the responses requiring a longer written statement.
- Use a word processing tool to draft the written statement to be sure your response is thorough, compelling, and does not exceed the maximum word count allowed.
- Complete and submit your online application by the deadline. Incomplete applications, and applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed.
Application review & selection:
School staff review all applications in May.
Selection committees from each school will choose one recipient and one alternate. Applications are scored on athletic participation, academics, leadership, character, citizenship, and motivation.
Scholarship recipients will be notified by email. Applicants will also receive a hard copy letter by mail.
Scholarship checks will be mailed directly to the recipient’s school the first full week of August.
- Application period opens: January
- Applications due: mid-March
- School review & selection period: May
- Recipient notification: June
- Award checks mailed to recipient’s school: August
Please see your school counselor for more information.
Qualifying WIAA athletic teams:
|Softball||Swim & Dive|
|Tennis||Track & Field|
|Cascade Christian||Charles Wright|
|Franklin Pierce||Gig Harbor|
|South Bend H.S.||Spanaway|