Ben B. Cheney Student Athlete Scholarship Program
High School Scholarship History
Ben Cheney had a significant interest in supporting youth and youth athletics through his philanthropy. The Ben B. Cheney Foundation continues his legacy by awarding one scholar athlete from each of the 32 high schools in Pierce County, and one from Ben’s hometown, South Bend, each year.
Since 1976, the Ben B. Cheney Foundation has awarded more than $1.5 million in college scholarships through this program.
This $3,000 scholarship recognizes student athletes with plans to further their education in a not-for-profit vocational and technical school, or a 2- or 4-year college in the United States following graduation. Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the school or college on the student’s behalf the first week of August.
Help us celebrate our 2022 High School Scholarship program recipients.
To be eligible for this scholarship, students must:
- Be a high school senior.
- Graduate from an eligible, WIAA recognized high school in Pierce County. (see list below)
- Have plans to attend a not-for-profit vocational and technical school, or a 2- or 4-year college in the United States in the fall following graduation.
- Have a cumulative GPA that meets minimum college requirements.
- Have participated on at least one varsity interscholastic high school sponsored WIAA athletic team in Pierce County. (See list below for WIAA sports. Visit the WIAA website for more information on the difference between sports and activities.)
- Exhibit high qualities of attainment in academics, leadership, character, citizenship, and motivation.
- Be an American citizen.
- Submit a compelling and complete application by the deadline.
How to Apply:
- Review the application. Make note of the questions and the essay requiring a longer written statement.
- Use a word processing tool to draft the written statement to be sure your response is thorough, compelling, and does not exceed the maximum word count allowed.
- Enter your information in the fields of your application, when ready.
- Review your email address, mailing address, and phone number for accuracy before submitting your application. Be sure your email and phone number listed will be active after June. (Some school email accounts are closed at graduation) This is how we will contact scholarship recipients for notification and processing the scholarship with their school. If we can’t reach you, we can’t process your scholarship.
- Complete and submit your online application by the due date in 2024. Incomplete or ineligible applications, and applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed.
Application Review & Selection:
- School staff review all eligible applications from students in their school during the months of April and early May.
- Selection committees from each school will choose one recipient based on application scoring criteria. Applications are scored on athletic participation, academics, leadership, character, citizenship, and motivation.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified via email by the end of May. Recipients will also receive a hard copy letter by mail. It is important to double-check that your email address, mailing address, and cell phone number are correct in your application so we can reach you.
- The 2023 application period is now closed.
- School review & selection period: April through early May
- Recipient notification: End of May
- Award checks mailed directly to the recipient’s school: The first week of August
Please see your school counselor for more information.
|Softball||Swim & Dive|
|Tennis||Track & Field|
|Cascade Christian||Charles Wright|
|Chief Leschi||Clover Park|
|Silas||Sound Christian Academy|
|South Bend H.S.||Spanaway|